In this course students will develop oral and written communication skills that will allow a business professional to communicate effectively with customers, clients, and employees. Students will develop and deliver effective presentations using presentation software, learn negotiating skills, and practice extemporaneous speaking. Students will craft effective emails, product descriptions, resumes, and other business-related writing and oral communication skills. Students will practice skills needed to effectively apply and interview for jobs.
1. Communicate effectively in customer service situations and with vendors.
2. Concisely and professionally document agreements.
3. Deliver effective presentations that utilize charts or visual aids in presentation software.
4. Write effective text aimed at customers using a variety of formats (e.g. emails, blog posts, social media, and printed promotional material).
5. Write effective job application materials and employ effective oral communication in an interview.
An analysis of the behavior of humans as actors in a variety or organizational contexts and cultures, including group, inter-group, and individual behavior. A cross cultural perspective of organizational behavior is also examined, including the concepts of time-management, work ethic, teamwork, and verbal and non-verbal communication.
1. Describe why managers and entrepreneurs require a knowledge of organizational behavior.
2. Describe characteristics of culture and resulting behavioral tendencies (especially as related to communication, teamwork and leadership, and conflict resolution).
3. Explain the foundations of individual behavior in diverse organizational and cultural settings.
4. Explain the foundations of group behavior in diverse organizational and cultural settings.
5. Discuss inter-group behavior.
6. Identify the rules of organizational design.
7. Describe organizational culture.